Lagos governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, says he is shocked by the latest explosion which rocked a part of the state.
Not fewer than eight people died after a gas explosion happened in the Baruwa area of Ipaja in Lagos, on Thursday morning.
The gas station owned by Best Roof Cooking Gas exploded and burnt buildings close to it.
In a statement on issued on Thursday, Gboyega Akosile, the governor’s chief press secretary, said Sanwo-Olu expressed shock over the unfortunate circumstance.
He quoted governor Sanwo-Olu as saying reports on the cause of the explosion hinted carelessness on the part of the gas plant operators.
He mentioned that the government would install stiffer measures against operators of gas plants and any combustible items in the state to prevent future recurrence of such catastrophe.
“The gas explosion this morning has left a sour taste in my mouth. It is a reminder of the dark episode of March this year at Abule Ado Soba when innocent lives were lost to gas explosions of monumental proportion and properties destroyed. I really can’t believe that we would witness another such incident, no matter how little,” he said.
“I wish to therefore register my heartfelt condolences to the families of those that lost their loved ones in the fire. I pray that God grant their souls eternal rest.
“The reports I got showed that the explosion could have been avoided if the operators of the gas plant had adhered to safety guidelines. Lives would have been saved and properties too would not have been affected.”
Governor Sanwo-Olu stated that the Lagos State Safety Commission and the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency have been notified of the next line of action.
On September 24, there was a case of gas explosion rocked the Ifako-Ijaiye area of Lagos where 16 persons were injured in the explosion and properties were destroyed.