The Ekiti state government has confirmed the discharge of five COVID-19 patients after their recovery from the virus.
Mojisola Yahaya-Kolade, Ekiti state commissioner for health, made the announcement a press briefing in Ado Ekiti, on Monday.
Yahaya-Kolade made it known that the state has also enlarged its COVID-19 isolation centre to a 100-bed capacity.
The commissioner said the expansion was necessary due to the increase in cases of the disease and the need for more proactive standards against the pandemic.
“Owing to the increase in the number of COVID-19 cases, Gov. Kayode Fayemi has approved the immediate expansion of the bed capacity in the isolation centre,” she said.
“As at today, we have 100 bed capacity in case of any eventuality. We have also discharged five patients today, out of the 10 active cases. The patients are healthy now, they have tested negative twice.
“However, we still have contacts of patients that we are tracing, the remaining patients in the isolation centre are being treated.”
Governor Kayode Fayemi, has disclosed that arrangements had been completed for the take-off of the state’s COVID-19 testing centre.
“This week, we will be formally launching our testing centre at the teaching hospital. So, I’m confirming it to you,” Fayemi said.
“We are expanding our infectious disease hospital bed space, as you know we have just ten-bed space in the one we are using now but there is an increase and we have to prepare for the worse while we hope for the best.
“We want a reduction in the number of Covid-19 positive patients in the state, but right now, we have about ten active cases, that means all our beds there are fully occupied. So, we have had to then expand to a hundred- bed space. So, if we have any additional patients, we are prepared for them.”
The state has confirmed 15 cases of COVID-19 and with a record of one death.