Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Saturday announced that government hospital mortuaries across the state are filled up, calling on owners of corpses to come forward and claim them in space of two weeks otherwise the government would embark on mass burial for the ones that remain unclaimed.
Governor Sanwo-Olu stated this while addressing newsmen on the update of the state government’s efforts to curb the further spread of the coronavirus pandemic in Lagos, maintaining that the corpses in question were not COVID-19 related as the total number resulting from the disease was not more than 18 so far.
The Governor said that albeit funerals would be permitted, he, however, ruled out the possibility of parties or reception before, during or after the interment.
He also disclosed that the accumulation of dead bodies was due to the fact that most churches don’t do funerals during the Lent period, adding that the lockdown had equally played a part in the situation.
Sanwo-Olu sternly warned that not more than 20 persons should attend such burials even as he stated categorically that they must all wear face masks which he said was now mandatory in the state.